[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Feb 10 05:27:34 EST 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Mark Calabretta wrote:

> If we're seriously expected to accept the "quadratic catastrophy"

> argument for immediately changing UTC, would it be too much to

> expect that its replacement actually solve the problem rather

> than simply delay it?

There is no solution to the problem, if you define the problem as
satisfying the requirements that civil time is tightly coupled to UT,
there are always 86400 seconds in a day, and seconds are SI seconds
realised on the geoid. We've tried relaxing two of these requirements
and neither result was very satisfactory.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,