[LEAPSECS] Crunching Bulletin B numbers (POSIX time)

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Sat Feb 19 18:11:10 EST 2011

> Why would you need that? An API might accommodate leap seconds, if

> that is required and they exist. Isolated machines sit on the same

> API, but the leap seconds never come. Japan doesn't have daylight

> saving times, but they don't run a special version of Unix that lacks

> tm_isdst in a struct tm.

Consider an app that wants to write log lines using correct UTC
inclusive of leap seconds (eg. "????-12-31 23:59:60")

let's say that app also stores BER encoded 32-bit timestamps in a
local database, and those timestamps are inclusive of leap seconds.

that app should still work on an isolated machine just as it does
on an network-connected machines and have the 32-bit timestamps
properly correlate with the ascii timestamps inclusive of leap
seconds.

to do this correctly for ten years, it would need a ten year leap
second table.

we don't want a situation where, the network-connected machine
converts the 32-bit timestamps to and from ascii and would get
*different* *results* just because it was connected to the
internet.

I conjecture that if we can't fix this kind of problem, then we
are not much better off than the current situation.

-paul