[LEAPSECS] real-time UT1 realisation

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Thu Sep 22 11:09:45 EDT 2011

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>Have you tried giving that task to a Kalman filter ?

I haven't tried implementing it at all yet, I've only theorised about it.
But anyway: how do you imagine applying a Kalman filter? It would
normally be used where you have a substantial series of measurements
with similar quality attributes. In the case of projecting UT1,
the `measurements' available appear to be the extrapolations for
today that were published by IERS in successive weeks. We'd expect
the extrapolations that were published later to be qualitatively more
reliable than earlier ones, and it would be strange for this purpose to
look at more than two of the data points (last week's and this week's).
Are you thinking of applying it to some other variable?

-zefram