[LEAPSECS] props for talks?

Eric Fort eric.fort at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:40:15 EDT 2012

Somewhat depends upon the intended audience but the following items
come to mind and I'll finish with 2 references from which to pick
more.  The props chosen might also depend somewhat at to what "the
presented philosophy of what time is" is.

Here's a few things that come to mind:

Various calendars (Myan, Hebrew, Julian, Gregorian, etc. illustrating
their significance <and making a joke or 2 about the "end of time"
according to the myan long count coming soon)
.
Telescope/transit/sextant - translate where you are to when it is.

Rubidium Oscilator (a cesium beam is probably a bit big to take along
but a modern rubidium easily fits in a suitcase)

WWV/WWVH audio recievers WWVB and gps recievers with display
(time/frequency transfer methods & radio controlled clocks)

finished and unfinished quartz crystals.

marine chronometer

pendulum (could be as simple as a mass on a string, variable length
being nice as one can observe how the period changes with length <and
with variation in g should you be able to arrange such ;) > )

heliometer

pocket watch

clepsydra (aka water clock)

candles

Hourglass

sundial

tally stick (used for the counting of days)

Eric