[LEAPSECS] props for talks?

Skip Newhall x at sn.to
Tue Apr 3 20:23:22 EDT 2012

Eric -

I like your creative suggestions for displays.

Regarding the pendulum - you could add: observing how the period changes with amplitude. A notable portion of technical people think
that the period of a pendulum is independent of the amplitude of its swing. Of course, anyone in this field knows it is only
approximately true for arbitrarily small-amplitude swings, the general case being given by Jacobi's elliptic function rather than a
harmonic solution.

Skip Newhall
JPL (Retired)

Valencia, CA