[LEAPSECS] props for talks?

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Apr 4 02:57:46 EDT 2012

In a talk aimed at children, I once got one voulenteer to count
pendulum swings, while another let a container of water empty through
a hole in the bottom. We did it twice, to show it took the same
number of swings both times. Then you can make the point that when
you repeat a simple physical processes, they take the same amount
of time to complete. So the water clock can time the pendulum or
vice versal.

(If you were talking to a older audience, you could talk about time
being a variable in the euqations of motion and physical laws being
invarient under shifts in time.)

David.