[LEAPSECS] Longer horizon

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Wed Jul 11 05:27:59 EDT 2012

On 11 July 2012 02:42, Michael Spacefalcon <msokolov at ivan.harhan.org> wrote:

> Of course. However, this issue would only exist if the external time

> input is an ASCII string or struct in HH:MM:SS format, and I have yet

> to see a system that uses such formats for time interchange. All

> systems that I'm familiar with use time-as-a-real-number formats

> instead: JD, MJD, time_t, NTP, etc.

> SF

We use a twenty-year-old system that does just that - outputs an ASCII
string once a second at 300 baud on a good old-fashioned serial line.
Admittedly this was not designed for computer use, but for hardware
that will then drive either physical clocks, or produce SMPTE/EBU time
code (as used by radio and television broadcasting).

Peter (BBC, London)