[LEAPSECS] Definition of Standard time - Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sun Feb 16 05:46:09 EST 2014

On 2014-02-16 01:28 AM, John Hawkinson wrote:

> This is not a real conflict.

> The standards you cite do not say "standard time,"

> they say things like "standard time scale" which is parsed as

> (STANDARD (TIME SCALE)) not ((STANDARD TIME) SCALE).

> etc.

Ah, they are defining "standard time", "standard time of day", and
"clock time".

The note on ISO 8601, 2.1.14 "standard time" says "NOTE This time shift
may be varied in the course of a year."

The note on IEC 60050-111, 111-16-16 "standard time" (that ISO 8601
references) says "NOTE Examples are Central European Time (CET), Central
European Summer Time (CEST), Pacific Standard Time (PST), Japanese
Standard Time (JST), etc."

That includes *both* CET and CEST.

The note on ISO 8601, 2.1.15 "standard time of day" says "NOTE Standard
time of day is called "clock time" in IEC 60050-111."

And IEC 60050-111, 111-16-17 "clock time" describes time as indicated
for "local standard time"

It seems pretty clear they mean "standard time" may include "summer
time". That really *is* in conflict with common use, isn't it?

This comes up in context of attempting to write a definition of
"standard time" as understood in common use (and POSIX, and such). You'd
like to reach to ISO 8601 for the definition, and there you discover
this conflict.

ISO 8601 is an important standard. Besides its famous description of
"representation" is also defines what its representing (Basic concepts,
Time Units, Gregorian calendar).

But it is silent on "daylight savings". It describes representation of
"Local time and the difference from UTC", and "local time" is defined in
2.1.16 - local time - locally applicable time of day such as standard
time of day, or a non-UTC based time of day

It can't, or doesn't, distinguish between New York "standard time"
12:00:00-05:00 and New York "daylight time" 12:00:00-04:00.

"Standard time" in 8601 really is in conflict with common use, I think.

-Brooks