[LEAPSECS] Definition of Standard time - Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Mon Feb 24 03:07:32 EST 2014

On 2014-02-17 03:35 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

> Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

>> Brooks Harris said:

>>> Wikipedia (not always an authoritative source)

>>> Standard time

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_time

>>> states:

>>> "Where daylight saving time is used, the term standard time typically

>>> refers to the time without the offset for daylight saving time.".

>>> That is consistent with my understanding of "Standard time".

>> But not mine.

>> "standard time" is to be contrasted with "local time". Both GMT and BST are

>> "standard time" in the UK.

> That isn't the contrast in ISO 8601. It says:

> 2.1.16 local time

> locally applicable time of day such as standard time of day, or a

> non-UTC based time of day

> The relevant distinction is from the late 1800s, between local mean solar

> time and time based on a standard meridian, as in railway time. So ISO

> 8601 is right that summer time is also a standard time (in this sense)

> even though the North American terminology that distinguishes between

> (original) standard time and daylight saving time is clearer.

> Tony.

The WORLD MAP OF TIME ZONES published by the UK Hydrographic Office uses
the "standard plus daylight" convention.

STANDARD TIME ZONES
Corrected to April 2012
Zone boundaries are approximate
Daylight Saving Time (Summer Time),