separating blockquotes (repost)

european bob bob at wolfwall.com
Mon Apr 5 17:00:58 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 21:13, John Gruber wrote:
> >     > "This is the first quotation."
> >
> >     > "This is another, seperate, quotation."
> >
> > However, instead of two blockquotes, I get one blockquote with two `<p>`
> > paragraphs inside it - like this:
>
> Feature, not a bug, but I'm open to changing this.

I would think that this would be more consistent:

source:
render:
> "this is a quote"
> "this is a 2nd quote"
 * * *
 * * *
> this is supposed to be
a very long line
> this is another very
long line
long line</p>
line</p>
 * * *
 * * *
> "this is a quote"

> "this is a 2nd quote"

 * * *
 * * *
> this is supposed to be
a very long line

> this is another very
long line
long line</p>

line</p>

(This may not make much sense non-monospace; blame Evolution :o)

There ought to be some hardish/fastish rules about when something is a
paragraph or not; and the logic which determines when you are being lazy
and when you aren't isn't immediately obvious to me. Where would you
disagree with the above (given it already does disagree ;), and why?

--bob.