separating blockquotes (repost)

Már Örlygsson mar at anomy.net
Mon Apr 5 18:02:52 EDT 2004

bob wrote:
> source:
> render:
> > "this is a quote"
> > "this is a 2nd quote"

Hmmm.. this seems to break the 'rule' that paragraphs are always delimited
by empty (or emptyish) lines.

I automatically assumed that

  > quote one blah blah blah
  blah blah.

  > quote two blah blah blah blah
  blah blah blah..

would result in *two* blockquotes, and that

  > first quoted paragraph blah blah
  blah blahbla.

  > second paragraph quoted blah
  blah bla.

would result in *one* blockquote consisting of two paragraphs, because this
seemed to be the most email-like syntax to me.

Regarding John's suggestion that cite attributes be added via something
similar to this:

  <http://www.foo.com/>:
  > quoted text here bla bla blah.

I think this is a great idea, but I don't think it should be the only way to
split consecutive quoted lines into multiple blockquote tags. Cite attributes
sould be optional IMO.

--
Már Örlygsson
mailto:mar at anomy.net