Should Markdown process text inside of a <form>?

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Fri Aug 13 01:26:10 EDT 2004

Aaron Swartz <aaronsw at gmail.com> wrote on 08/12/04 at 5:12pm:

> I'd say no. I do stuff like this a lot:
>
> <form>
>
> **Name:** <input name="foo" />
>
> **Email:**  <input name="foo" />
>
> <input type="submit" />
>
> </form>

Just because you use it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
Your use of Markdown syntax inside <form> is pretty much exactly
like what people want to do inside <div>, for example.

The rule is that Markdown syntax isn't processed inside block-level
tags, and <form> is a block-level tag.

In other words, instead of making a special case out of <form> just
because I mistakenly omitted it from my original list of block-level
HTML tags, this is just another instance indicating that there's a
need for a general-purpose mechanism for turning Markdown processing
on inside any block-level tag.