Possible enhancement to blockquotes?

engel5 engel5 at engel5.net
Fri Aug 27 10:46:33 EDT 2004

After a great deal of time working with Textile, I have decided to switch to Markdown. I'm not here start a flame war or fan war or any such thing, but I feel like Tim Apnel (http://www.timaoutloud.org/archives/000215.html) when he started TikiText: nothing out there quite matches what I'd like to do or the way I already do things(I'd never seen a list of referenced links until Markdown came out, even in email). The difference is that he has the ability to actually do the coding, and I only have the ability to read code that others have written. Maybe someday.

Anyway, to the enhancement idea. I have become a fan of the blockquote's cite attribute. Actually, I'm beginning to think the datetime attribue of INS/DEL is cool, too, but that's a different matter: Markdown doesn't do anything with those.

I can see that the change I would suggest would have to be made in the nicely named `_DoBlockQuotes()`, but beyond that, I'm at a loss.

I would like the following:

 >(http://example.com "Example's article on Lorem Ipsum")Lorem ipsum...

To result in:

I think the parantheses follow Markdown's style for links. I'd even be willing to help test everything -- I know there may be issues with multiple blocks internal to the blockquote. I just don't know enough about regex to figure out how to go from here -- otherwise, I would have tried it myself.

David Engel