Michel Fortin

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Wed Dec 1 13:44:18 EST 2004

> I'd love to see forum software that uses Markdown. My only thought
> with that -- and it goes for using Markdown in weblog comments as
> well -- is whether there ought to be a special mode that prevents
> the use of inline block-level HTML in those cases. Or a configurable
> list of tags to block.

This can be done with Drupal right now, though setting up a proper
Drupal forum will send you deep into the Taxonomy module.

In Drupal 4.5 and maybe lower, you'd first install the Markdown module
(it's MD w/SP, actually).  Next configure a new Input Format (maybe
called Forum) that applies both the Markdown and the HTML filter.  Then
you'd want to 'weight' the two filters (Rearrange Filters) within your
new "Forum" input format so that they're applied in the desired order.
Last, choose Configure Filters to tweak the tags allowed by the HTML
filter.  Again, this is discrete to the Forum input format, not global
to the Drupal install.  That's it.

Same can be done for comments.

I'm running this configuration on a dev site, so I know it works.

As an aside, there's an issue with MD referenced links in Drupal
content.  Out of the box, Drupal will truncate content items to 'teaser'
length for home page display (or RSS, etc.).  Though this is supremely
configurable, referenced links falling below the truncation point will
break any targets above the truncation point -- meaning that Drupal
truncates first and filters second.  This might be solved through a
pref, but so far I haven't found anybody else talking about it.

LQ

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 13:05 -0500, John Gruber wrote:
> Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote on 11/30/04 at 9:44pm:
>
> > WordPress 1.2 with a slightly old version of PHP Markdown included has
> > been downloaded well over a hundred thousand times. 1.3 will include the
> > latest at time of release. I'm also working on forum software that will
> > use Markdown as its syntax, and looking at adapting it for use with
> > Mediawiki.
>
> Yeah, my gut feeling is that PHP-Markdown is in use by more people
> than Markdown.pl. Michel's efforts are much appreciated, and I think
> have a lot to do with Markdown's (the syntax) growing popularity.
>
> I'd love to see forum software that uses Markdown. My only thought
> with that -- and it goes for using Markdown in weblog comments as
> well -- is whether there ought to be a special mode that prevents
> the use of inline block-level HTML in those cases. Or a configurable
> list of tags to block.
>
> -J.G.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lou Quillio
Box 459, Cambridge, NY USA 12816
518.788.8569 (cell)
518.724.0802 (VoIP)
http://quillio.com

Please ignore the attachments signature.asc or PGP.sig.
They are OpenPGP digital signatures that prove I'm the
sender.  Your email reader may not understand them.
http://www.openpgp.org/