Michel Fortin

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Wed Dec 1 13:05:03 EST 2004

Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote on 11/30/04 at 9:44pm:

> WordPress 1.2 with a slightly old version of PHP Markdown included has
> been downloaded well over a hundred thousand times. 1.3 will include the
> latest at time of release. I'm also working on forum software that will
> use Markdown as its syntax, and looking at adapting it for use with
> Mediawiki.

Yeah, my gut feeling is that PHP-Markdown is in use by more people
than Markdown.pl. Michel's efforts are much appreciated, and I think
have a lot to do with Markdown's (the syntax) growing popularity.

I'd love to see forum software that uses Markdown. My only thought
with that -- and it goes for using Markdown in weblog comments as
well -- is whether there ought to be a special mode that prevents
the use of inline block-level HTML in those cases. Or a configurable
list of tags to block.