Michel Fortin

Craig Morgan Craig.Morgan at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 2 05:40:41 EST 2004

I've been using instiki.org's wiki sw as a personal wiki on my powerbook
under OSX for about 3-4 months. Very nice clean wiki implementation
which has got me interested in Ruby ...

The pre-packaged OSX dmg for installation of instiki does contain an old
version of Bluecloth which reflects an earlier (pre v1.0) version of
Markdown. Picking up the latest bluecloth.rb file from its homesite and
integrating it was easy enough though and consequently you get v1.0
semantics.

All of my utilisation (bar some test pages) consists of Markdown
formatted text in the Wiki, but some assist for CamelCase would be most
welcome as I've settled on a slightly off-beat convention of double
bracketting most occurences to get my Markdown through unmolested (ie.
[[ThisIsSampleLink]]).

I use Blosxom (with Markdown formatted text) and instiki interchangeably
which is great for productivity and sanity ... ;-)

Craig

david scotson wrote:
> On Wed,  1 Dec 2004 13:05:03 -0500, John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> wrote:
>
>>I'd love to see forum software that uses Markdown. My only thought
>>with that -- and it goes for using Markdown in weblog comments as
>>well -- is whether there ought to be a special mode that prevents
>>the use of inline block-level HTML in those cases. Or a configurable
>>list of tags to block.
>

> The software I use (Moodle, a learning management system: moodle.org)
> uses Markdown as well as couple of other formats, including WYSIWYG
> HTML, for writing articles, forum posts etc. As text entry is open to
> the public/students all formats are run through an HTML stripper with
> a preprogrammed list of acceptable tags (I think it strips attributes
> with javascript too). It seems to work well and is apparently a common
> functionality anywhere were free entry of HTML is an allowed option.
>
> On the subject of wikis, I was looking into this recently (as I am
> keen for Moodle's wiki functionality to share the Markdown formatting)
> and there is at least one wiki already using markdown: Instiki
> (instiki.org). Or at least claiming to, as I can't seem to get it to
> work from a brief attempt.
>
> Instiki has three choices for markup: Textile, Markdown or Rdoc (the
> ruby documentation format) from which you may guess it is written in
> ruby. The ruby implementations of Textile and Markdown and called
> RedCloth (redcloth.rubyforge.org) and BlueCloth
> (bluecloth.rubyforge.org) respectively. I believe that
> http://blue.instiki.org is supposed to be a sandbox for trying the
> Bluecloth/Markdown formatting but it just seems to use Textile.
>
> And on the subject of alternate implementations I stumbled across
> Markdown.NET the other day:
> http://aspnetresources.com/blog/markdown_announced.aspx which I don't
> think I've seen mentioned here.
>
> regards,
>
> dave scotson

Craig

Craig Morgan                              Sun Microsystems Ltd
Senior Training Instructor                Sun Services
SES UK                                    Citygate
                                           Cross Street
Email:  craig.morgan at sun.com              Sale, Cheshire
Tel:    +44 (0)161 905 8155               UK
Fax:    +44 (0)161 962 4150               M33 7JF

  NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended