RedCloth (was RE: Michel Fortin)

David McCreath mccreath at kadmium.net
Fri Dec 3 15:07:27 EST 2004

[...]
> Instiki has three choices for markup: Textile, Markdown or
> Rdoc (the ruby documentation format) from which you may guess
> it is written in ruby. The ruby implementations of Textile
> and Markdown and called RedCloth (redcloth.rubyforge.org) and
> BlueCloth (bluecloth.rubyforge.org) respectively.
[...]

I updated BlueCloth and RedCloth both yesterday and noticed that RedCloth
now includes both Textile and Markdown. I haven't really had time to play
with it a lot, but I have noticed one unfortunate side affect.

There's a little bit of a RegEx collision between Markdown's use of the hash
sign (#) for header tags (h1-h6) and Textile's use of it for ordered lists.

When I'm writing Markdown, I always use the hash version of h1 and h2 just
for consistency with the other headers, but I always put a space after them.

# Header 1

## Header 2

The space causes RedCloth to convert those to list items in an ordered list.

I know this is drifting off-topic for a Markdown-specific list, but I
thought the effort to combine the two was interesting.

David