Automatic links syntax (was: automatic links within backticks not escaped properly)

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Tue Dec 7 11:30:36 EST 2004

david scotson <david.scotson at gmail.com> wrote on 12/04/04 at 9:17pm:

> No, I meant that as well as the current automatic link syntax:
>
> <http://www.example.com>
>
> it might be worth considering this syntax:
>
> [http://www.example.com]
>
> since it is more consistent with non-automatic links, where the
> equivalent link would be created with:

I see your point, but I don't agree. To me, automatic `<url>` links
are very different than regular links. Well, maybe not *very*
different, but different enough to deserve their own syntax.

In general, I'm trying to avoid multiple ways to do the same thing.
A lot of the suggestions I reject aren't rejected because they're
bad ideas, but simply because I'm trying very hard to keep
Markdown's syntax relatively simple. Saying "no" to one small change
doesn't make much of a difference, but saying "no" to a couple of
dozen is what keeps Markdown simple.

So, thanks for the idea; it's not bad; but it's not going in.  :^)