Interesting Issue

Christopher Biagini chris at assortedgeekery.com
Thu Dec 9 00:09:04 EST 2004

I'm writing a paper for one of my classes, and I quote some manpages
that make mention of constants with underscores in their
names--Markdown treats the underscores as the start and end of
emphasized text. For example, this text:

    The   contentionscope   attribute   can   have   the   value
    PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM,  signifying  system scheduling conten-
    tion scope,  or  PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS,  signifying  process
    scheduling contention scope.

Becomes this when run through Markdown:

   	PTHREAD<em>SCOPE</em>SYSTEM,  signifying  system scheduling conten-
   	tion scope,  or  PTHREAD<em>SCOPE</em>PROCESS,  signifying  process
   	scheduling contention scope.</p>

Which isn't quite what I had in mind. Is this an unfortunate
consequence of proper behavior, or a bug?

--Chris Biagini