Markdown licensing

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Mon Dec 13 08:14:57 EST 2004

On Dec 13, 2004, at 12:41 AM, John Gruber wrote:

> If anyone has any thoughts on this, now would be the time to speak
> up.

I have already delivered one project with textile rather than Markdown
to a client because of the GPL, and removed Markdown from another
project. I would prefer a BSD style license (though get it from
opensource.org as has been pointed out in another message). LGPL might
work too, but it has a funny notion of linking that might make it
tricky for Markdown. There is also the CPL
<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl.php> that might be worth
looking at.

I have *nothing* against the GPL nor anybody who uses it, so don't get
me wrong on this. This is your tool you license as you see fit. And the
GPL does have a few advantages.

Cheers,
Bob

----