Markdown licensing

european bob bob at wolfwall.com
Mon Dec 13 12:44:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 12:10 -0500, John Gruber wrote:
> > Moving away from the GPL seems somewhat akin to throwing the baby out
> > with the bathwater; the GPL's benefits are more than just the protective
> > copyleft (the patents clause, for example).
>
> I should note that the people I'm concerned about are those who are
> publishing their own open source projects, and would like to include
> Markdown.
>
> I wonder if switching to the LGPL would satisfy them?

Generally speaking, if the licences are "compatible" then there
shouldn't really be a problem in the first place (people often think
there is, because projects who use one licence often refuse code
licensed under another licence).

But, I would have thought that moving to LGPL would satisfy them.

As I said before, I don't really see the need for a proprietary Markdown
(as distinct from proprietary software using Markdown), and keeping
something copyleft-ish would be nice.

--bob.