Possible MT+Trackback issue

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Sat Mar 20 17:22:12 EST 2004

Jason Clark <jason at jclark.org> wrote on 03/19/04 at 11:43p:

> Interesting that your RSS feed is also affected... I don't see any
> Markdown in John's feed, although his feed only provides the short
> description, not the full post.  Does MT apply markdown to both?

That's the problem -- MT does not apply your post's text formatting
filter to the contents of the <$MTEntryExcerpt$> template tag.

You can use the `filters` MT tag attribute in your RSS template to
get Markdown filtering on your Excerpt:

    <description>
    <$MTEntryExcerpt encode_xml='1' filters='markdown'$>
    </description>

See here for details:

<http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mtmanual_tags.html#item_filters>

The problem with this is that by setting it in your template, it
will be applied to all of your posts, not just the ones for which you
explicitly choose "Markdown" from the Text Formatting pop-up.

On the plus-side, however nothing should go wrong if you have
excerpts for non-Markdown posts composed in raw HTML, because
Markdown should just skip over the tags.

I guess I should start working on a FAQ...

--
John Gruber          |              Daring Fireball
gruber at fedora.net    |    http://daringfireball.net