Install issues

Jason Clark jason at jclark.org
Tue Mar 23 10:58:55 EST 2004

On Mar 23, 2004, at 6:28 AM, Arthur Lugtigheid wrote:

> Here's what my installation looks like:
>
> - Movable Type 2.661
> - SmartyPants 1.5.1
> - perl-5.8.2_2
> - Markdown 1.0b3
>
> When executing Markdown.pl on the commandline I get the following
> message:
>
> Can't locate warnings.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at Markdown.pl line 14. BEGIN
> failed--compilation aborted at Markdown.pl line 14.

While you may have perl-5.8.2_2 installed, it doesn't appear to be
getting invoked (althought it's possible); the include path perl is
searching is all perl5.005-specific.

Try this:  from the command line, execute `/usr/bin/perl -v`(don't type
the backticks).  The message displayed will include the perl version.
If it's version 5.005, then that's your problem; markdown requires
perl5.6 or newer.

If you know the correct path to your perl 5.8 executable, you can
change the first line of Markdown.pl to reflect this location.  On many
*nix systems, the "which" command can be useful; try `which perl` to
see the location of the copy of perl that will be run if you just type
perl from the command line.  If the location is *not* /usr/bin/perl,
then try running the path returned with the -v switch.  For example, if
`which perl` returns "/usr/local/bin/perl", then try running
`/usr/local/bin/perl -v`.  If the version is 5.6 or better, then you
are all set.  If not (or if which doesn't work for you), ask your
sysadmins for the path to a newer perl.

Once you know the path to a newer perl, change the first line of
Markdown.pl to match.  For example, if the correct path to perl 5.8 on
your system is /usr/local/bin/perl, then change the first line of
Markdown.pl to this:

     #!/usr/local/bin/perl

Note that the # should be the first character on the line... no spaces
or tabs allowed.

If the results of our first test (/usr/bin/perl -v) were version 5.6 or
version 5.8, you'll need to ask your sysadmins for help; the newer perl
is only searching the include path of the older perl.

> Apologies if this is not the proper use of this list.

I don't know; it doesn't bother me.  I replied on-list because I expect
other people may have similar problems in the future, as Markdown
becomes more popular.  Hopefully they will search the archives, as you
did :)   Besides, it doesn't hurt to have others check my work.  If you
continue to have problems that you feel are site specific, feel free to
email me directly off-list.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Jason Clark <jason at jclark.org>