Install issues

Jason Clark jason at jclark.org
Tue Mar 23 14:27:44 EST 2004

On Mar 23, 2004, at 2:06 PM, John Gruber wrote:

>> If you know the correct path to your perl 5.8 executable, you can
>> change the first line of Markdown.pl to reflect this location.
>
> That's not going to work when Markdown is running as a Movable Type
> plug-in. The shebang line (#!/usr/bin/perl) only has an effect when
> you're running Markdown as a standalone Perl script.
>
> Within MT, Markdown runs in the same process as the Movable Type CGI
> app, and it looks like on Arthur's server, that's Perl 5.005.

This is a good point, and one I had not keyed in on.  I was
concentrating on Arthur's other statement, "when I run Markdown from
the command line...", but he did begin by pointing out that MD is
unavailable within MT.  As I am not running MT, is there a way within
MT's admin interface to see the version of perl being run?

Also, MT runs as a CGI app, correct?  If it turns out that Arthur has
both versions of perl available on his server, can he modify MT's
shebang line?  Are there multiple cgi files that will need to be
updated?

Of course, if this is a hosting service which has offered perl 5.8, but
is defaulting to 5.005, the best bet is to talk to the admin and have
your default perl straightened out.

Jason Clark <jason at jclark.org>
http://jclark.org/weblog/