The Plan.

Jelks Cabaniss jelks at jelks.nu
Tue Mar 23 19:50:44 EST 2004

John Gruber wrote:
> 4.  Features planned for 1.1.:
>     +   Syntax for specifying class and id attributes
>     +   Definition lists

What about <cite>?

Some of us use it quite frequently, and I would love to see it available in
a Markdown syntax instead of literal HTML embedding:

	According to Mill's <cite>On Liberty</cite>, ...

Email convention differs ...

	According to Mill's "On Liberty", ...
	According to Mill's *On Liberty*, ...
	According to Mill's On Liberty, ...

And it seems Textile uses

	According to Mill's ??On Liberty??, ...

which strikes me as pretty unelegant.  Something like

	According to Mill's ~On Liberty~, ...

seems a possibility, but it really doesn't matter to me.

I realize Markdown doesn't intend on replicating each and every HTML element
in its own syntax, but against the generally uncommon inlines (<ins>, <del>,
and <q> come to mind) or the ubiquitous <span> (primarily used for CSS
hooks), I think it at least merits consideration.

What do you think?

Thanks,

/Jelks