Ordered list syntax.

Jason Clark jason at jclark.org
Thu Mar 25 17:38:47 EST 2004

On Mar 23, 2004, at 11:37 PM, Daniel Axelrod wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 12:00  PM, John Gruber wrote:
>> The downside, however, is that in rare circumstances,
>> it's conceivable that someone could make a list inadvertantly. E.g.:
>>     1984. That was a good year.
>
>> The other thing I might be able to do is only start an ordered list
>> if there are two or more consecutive looking-like-a-list-item
>> paragraphs. That'd probably solve all these problems and make this
>> entire message moot.
>
> The solution of disallowing one-item numeric lists is exactly what I
> thought of when I read that example in the Markdown documentation.
<snip>
> "Don't create a one-item numbered list" is also a much easier rule to
> describe, remember, and follow than "Make sure your text doesn't wrap
> such that a line happens to start with a number, a period, and then a
> space."

You can currently see this in action right on the Markdown Project
Page.  In the section on Blosxom is an ordered list of step to setup
Markdown for use with Blosxom.  The fourth step is (from the [markdown
source][1]):

4.	If you'd like to apply Markdown formatting only to certain
	posts, rather than all of them, Markdown can optionally be used in
	conjunction with Blosxom's [Meta][] plug-in. First, install the
	Meta plug-in. Next, open the Markdown plug-in file in a text
	editor, and set the configuration variable $g_blosxom_use_meta to
	1. Then, simply include a `meta-markup: Markdown` header line at
	the top of each post you compose using Markdown.

Because of the word wrapping, "set the... variable... to 1." has been
wrapped at the 1.  The result, when viewed as [HTML][2], is a list
within a list.

[1]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/index.text
[2]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

Jason Clark <jason at jclark.org>