Ordered list syntax.

Bryan Dyck bdyck at mac.com
Fri Mar 26 13:40:30 EST 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 8:16 AM, Jason Clark wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2004, at 6:08 PM, John Gruber wrote:
>
>> We want two things:
>>
>> 1.  To make it hard to accidentally trigger a list.
>> 2.  To make it possible to create a single-item list.
>>
> Why do we want #2?  I have to think that is such an infrequent need
> that it's better to avoid it.  I can always use HTML for that entry.
> Plus, counting spaces seems like a non-intuitive way to go.
>
> If you really want #2, what about this;
>
> #. A one-item list.

Hi all...

I'll throw in the obligatory "Hey I'm new" thing and move on.. :)

I'd have to agree with Jason and others that single-item lists are a
definite boundary case - I don't recall ever seeing too many
single-item lists in written content, but then, I could just reading
the wrong stuff. I also don't think that it's necessarily a good idea
to get too heavily into counting spaces - in addition to the old "2
spaces after every period" habit, it seems like it's starting to stray
a bit from Markdown's stated goal of being "email-like".

If it really is necessary to support them, I do like Jason's
suggestion...

Anyway, that's just my $0.02...

Cheers,
Bryan