Ordered list syntax.

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Fri Mar 26 13:56:55 EST 2004

>> 2.  To make it possible to create a single-item list.
>>
> Why do we want #2?  I have to think that is such an infrequent need
> that it's better to avoid it.  I can always use HTML for that entry.
> Plus, counting spaces seems like a non-intuitive way to go.

But (1) single-item *unordered* lists are common, (2) users will expect
the MD syntax for ordered and unordered lists to be similar, (3) the
XHTML transformation programmatics of both will overlap by about 90%,
so ... (4) single-item ordered lists will be a by-product of any
reasonable list-handling solution.  As a practical matter it'd be
harder to exclude them than include them.

Also, you might have an ordered list that pauses and resumes within a
series of non-list paragraphs.  It'd be a list in human semantics, but
the MD syntax (and transformed XHTML markup) would have to handle it as
a series of single-item lists.

Also, you might want to quote (cite) a single item from an ordered list
in other material.

So they *do* happen in the course of writing, if rarely, and there's no
real economy to be had on the code-side -- there might even be an
expense to excluding them.

Maybe most importantly, John will receive an endless stream of
inquiries into why MD won't do them.  Endless.  Why ask for that, if
you can avoid it?

LQ

Lou Quillio
P.O. Box 24