Ordered list syntax.

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Sat Mar 27 01:19:14 EST 2004

On Mar 27, 2004, at 12:58 AM, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> Bottom line: if Markdown is assuming XHTML 1.0 Strict (or 1.1), it
> should
> only start list items with 1.  The alernatives would be to
>
> 	a.  Assume XHTML 1.0 Transitional
> 	b.  Use inline CSS
>
> I think the latter is a not a good idea.

Right.  So what can we take from this?

1.  MD must decide on its X/HTML target version/vocabulary.  It doesn't
have to be noisy or religious about it, needn't talk much about it at
all.  But internally it must decide.

2.  Establish a simple syntax for applying optional class attributes
(perhaps referentially), which keeps many doors open without getting in
anybody's face.  That done, the MD syntax for lists can be frozen and
list customizations left to stylesheet authors.  Which, imo, is where
they belong.

The latter is a hard thing to advocate because of widespread
class-pollution, but I think it's the cleanest way to square this
circle.  Or disc.  Or whatever.

LQ