Ordered list syntax.

Jelks Cabaniss jelks at jelks.nu
Sat Mar 27 00:58:53 EST 2004

Lou Quillio wrote:
> Again, unless I'm mistaken, XHTML (vs. HTML4) validation demands that
> any list customization be done with CSS.

Yes, though FWIW, XHTML 1.0 and HTML 4.x are identical in this regard: the
difference in *either* syntax family is between the Strict and Transitional
DTDs.

As to starting list items with numbers other than 1, XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 (and
HTML 4.x) *Strict* require this to be done through CSS, but *Transitional*
allows for the 'start' attribute.  There have been some complaints to the
W3C on the prohibition of 'start' in Strict, because the starting value is
seen to be part of the content rather than as a presentational thing.  I
think the argument has merit, but I doubt if we're going to see any official
W3C DTD "fixes" any time soon on those vocabularies.  It is (or at least
was) on the agenda for XHTML 2.0.  Whether 2.0 goes anywhere is another
story.  :)

Bottom line: if Markdown is assuming XHTML 1.0 Strict (or 1.1), it should
only start list items with 1.  The alernatives would be to

	a.  Assume XHTML 1.0 Transitional
	b.  Use inline CSS

I think the latter is a not a good idea.

/Jelks