Ordered list syntax.

Daniel Axelrod markdown at danonline.net
Sat Mar 27 10:18:22 EST 2004

All right. HTML does not allow lists inside paragraphs, how about these
rules?

1. There must be a blank line between a paragraph and the start of a
list.
2. If a sublist follows a list item that is not a paragraph, a blank
line is not necessary before the sublist.
3. If a sublist follows a list item that *is* a paragraph, a blank line
is necessary to separate the paragraph and the sublist. (This is really
just rule 1.)

These would make it impossible for wrapping a paragraph to accidentally
trigger the beginning of a list.

The only time a problem might occur is in wrapped non-paragraph list
items:

	1. This is a list item.
	2. So's this.
	3. The number eight is written in Arabic numerals as
	8. It is written in roman numerals as VIII.
	4. Here is another list item.

I don't actually think this is a problem, however, because a *human*
would mistake the `8. ` as a list item heading, until they read it in
context. This means that if Markdown thought it was a list item, the
person would look at their source document, realize that it really
*did* look like a list item, and change the wrapping.

Another problem might this:

	1. This is a list item.
	2. So's this.
	3. The number eight is written in Arabic numerals as
	    8. It is written in roman numerals as VIII.
	4. Here is another list item.

Is that `8. ` part of the wrapped and indented list item, or is it a
sublist? I also don't think this would be a huge deal, because the
person will see that Markdown thought it was a nested list, look at
their source document realize it *did* look like a nested list, and
change it.

The problem with accidentally triggering lists is only outside of any
list context. If a person has a normal paragraph that gets sliced and
diced into list items, they will have a hard time figuring out what
went wrong. On the other hand, if they have a list, they're going to be
thinking in the context of a list, so they're going to be more careful
with what looks like a list item, and what doesn't.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Markup to read a document
better than a human who's glancing over the document would.