Markdown Media Type Registration

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Sun Nov 21 21:04:34 EST 2004

A MIME-type for *unparsed* Markdown text?  But I thought Markdown text
exists to be parsed into XHTML.

Guess it can't hurt to register the media type (prevents somebody else
from doing so nefariously), but am I the only one who thinks this is a
little weird?

"You have attempted to open a file of the type 'Lou Quillio's arcane
note-taking format.'  Please register an application to use with this
file type."  Where does it end?

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#media-types

Probably I'm stupid -- and certainly Robert Sayre is generous in his
notification -- but doesn't Markdown presume it'll be parsed into XHTML,
thus already have a media type?  Wouldn't it be better to *discourage*
flamboyant, wildcat Markdown media-types -- that is, let them break --
rather than ratify them?

Or maybe I don't get it.

LQ