Markdown Media Type Registration

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Sun Nov 21 21:12:16 EST 2004

Robert Sayre <mint at franklinmint.fm> wrote on 11/21/04 at 7:08pm:

> Over on the Atom lists, we're tackling syntaxes that people use to write
> their weblogs. It would be really handy if you guys registered a media
> type for Markdown. You can do it under VND or PRS, so no lengthy and
> painful standards process would be required. I've noticed that people
> often modify their mime.types and such for markdown already.

I think this is a swell idea, but I must profess to know little
about the nuances of deciding upon a new media type. Is there a
better overview/intro than this one?

  <http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/media-types.html>

What's the difference between 'VND' and 'PRS'?

> How about "text/vnd.markdown"?

That sound good to me.

* * *

I'm curious as to why and when this would be used in the context of
Atom. For the publishing API?

Would I use it instead of "text/plain" to serve up my
Markdown-formatted plaintext web archives. E.g.:

  <http://daringfireball.net/2004/11/audion_story.text>