[ANN] Markdown.pl 1.0.1b4

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Mon Nov 29 20:05:54 EST 2004

Whew. Here's another beta of 1.0.1. Unless I'm missing any
outstanding heinous bugs -- or unless I've introduced new bugs with
this build -- this is probably going to turn into 1.0.1 later this
week.

  <http://daringfireball.net/projects/downloads/Markdown_1.0.1b4.zip>

Feel free to report any problems to the list or to me privately.

For those of you paying attention to version numbers, 1.0.1b3 was
never announced and was in fact abandoned. But I skipped the version
number because I'd sent it around to a few individuals privately. A
real collector's item.

Here are the change notes for this release:

1.0.1b4:

+   Sort-of fixed a bug where lines in the middle of hard-wrapped
    paragraphs, which lines look like the start of a list item,
    would accidentally trigger the creation of a list. E.g. a
    paragraph that looked like this:

        I recommend upgrading to version
        8. Oops, now this line is treated
        as a sub-list.

    This is fixed for top-level lists, but it can still happen for
    sub-lists. E.g., the following list item will not be parsed
    properly:

        +   I recommend upgrading to version
            8. Oops, now this line is treated
            as a sub-list.

    Given Markdown's list-creation rules, I'm not sure this can
    be fixed.

+   Standalone HTML comments are now handled; previously, they'd get
    wrapped in a spurious <p> tag.

+   Fix for horizontal rules preceded by 2 or 3 spaces.

+   Changed special case pattern for hashing <hr> tags in
    _HashHTMLBlocks() so that they must occur within three spaces
    of left margin. (With 4 spaces or a tab, they should be
    code blocks, but weren't before this fix.)

+   Capitalized "With" in "Markdown With SmartyPants" for
    consistency with the same string label in SmartyPants.pl.
    (This fix is specific to the MT plug-in interface.)

+   Auto-linked email address can now optionally contain
    a 'mailto:' protocol. I.e. these are equivalent:

        <mailto:user at example.com>
        <user at example.com>