Proposed table syntax

Shaun Inman markdown at shauninman.com
Thu Oct 21 15:51:40 EDT 2004

> I wonder if it'd be unwise to use `=` signs as the header delimiter,
> since they're already used for headers. More on this later.
I was thinking that they were a good choice *because* they're already
used for headers. I do recognize that that would make it much more
difficult to implement though. What I find odd is that there's been no
resistance to suggesting that the table be tabbed in once given the
conflict with code blocks--maybe the indentation was just
misinterpreted as a sample code block?

Despite the conflict I think there should to be something that indents
the table from the rest of the copy. How about a vertical pipe followed
by at least one whitespace character:

	| Company					Description
	| Apple Computer inc.		The maker of the Macintosh, iPod,
	| 						Quicktime and Firewire.
	| Microsoft				No need for a description.
	| 						More lines here

That would also allow for the reuse of the `=` and `-` for `<thead>`
and `<tr>` delimiters respectively.