[this] as a synonym for [this][]

Paul Mucur mudge at waferbaby.com
Sat Apr 2 18:08:58 EST 2005

On 2 Apr 2005, at 10:35 pm, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> What do you mean by "quoting"?  *Email* quoting?  I and many others
> have
> been quoting for years and have never used square brackets.  Most
> people use
> `>` and I've seen the pipe symbol (`|`) used.  Could you provide an
> example?
The main use of square brackets is to denote omissions or the insertion
of words; for example:

	"[Markdown] is a fantastic thing in my opinion and [...] it is free
for personal use."

In the above example, the real quote could have been as follows:

	"It is a fantastic thing in my opinion but, as I have found out from
looking on John Gruber's web site, it is free for personal use."

-- Paul