Recap syntax ideas for Markdown?

Jelks Cabaniss jelks at jelks.nu
Thu Apr 7 22:21:38 EDT 2005

John Gruber wrote:
>>     Is `H{2}O` in conflict with anything? Or even acceptable?
>
> It's not in conflict with anything now, but I've purposely saved
> `{...}` for future use. And there's no way I'm wasting it on
> subscript.

Braces by themselves, I don't blame you.  But if you "wasted" them in
combination with another delimiter (to show which span-level element it
was), you could easily support *all* the span-level elements.  It certainly
avoids problems like reaching high into Unicode for non-easily keyed
characters or grasping for non-ambiguous ASCII characters.

You could even have "aliases", e.g., ^some sup^ as an alias of {^some sup^}
-- when it made sense to do so -- in the same way have them now with
implicit links.

/Jelks