link soup

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Aug 22 09:42:08 EDT 2005

John Gruber wrote:

> However, the advantage to using `<sup>` tags is that you get

> reasonable default styling without any CSS. This is very useful, for

> example, for posts that are available via RSS.

I think `<sup>` should be part of footnote output. I think it just
make sense that the default rendering should look like footnotes.

Alastair wrote:

> You could use the unicode superscript digits (2070 to 2079) to

> represent a footnote reference. These would look correct for non-

> CSS representations.

Nice... but wasn't the point of not using `<sup>` meant to allow you
to style it as you like? How do you style unicode superscript digits?

Yuri T. wrote:

> One thing, however: at this point you are having Markdown inserting

> ENGLISH into the HTML, which raises the question of what one should do

> with a non-english website. I suppose one can just suppress the

> display of the tool-tip.

Putting English text in the output means the parser would have to be
localized for many languages... which also means many people won't
notice anything and will find English text inside their document in
other languages.

But this title that say what this symbol does is pretty useful too,
so it may be a good idea to keep it. Maybe this could be a
configuration variable that would be left empty by default so that it
works for any language. Then people could put their own string there
that would work for them. I think this would be a good compromise.

Sam Angove wrote:

> Is there any way we can get output which is fairly easy for the end

> user to change? A callback function for replacing footnote

> references, maybe, and another for appending the notes to the

> document.

> [...]

> I'll probably be modifying my copy of PHP-Markdown regardless, but

> it'd be nice for it to be *easy*. :)

Yeah, I've been thinking about a way to make modifications and
maintenance of them easy now that I maintain PHP Markdown Extra.

What I want to do (soon) is to encapsulate the PHP Markdown parser
into a class. Then, PHP Markdown Extra would simply have another
class which extends the PHP Markdown parser class, overriding some
methods. This should help anyone who have syntax modifications to
maintain.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/