An idea for within document anchor references

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at alumni.duke.edu
Mon Aug 22 10:05:44 EDT 2005

On Aug 22, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:

> The question is: Do we really need to add the special link-to-

> header syntax -- which doesn't work when two headers have the same

> text -- when all we need is the ability to set ids to headers?

I would argue yes. Most of the time, (in my documents, anyway)
headers will have different text. I don't want to have to manually
assign an id to each header, on the chance I might want to refer to
it later. It's much easier to simply automate the process. Most of
the time, my id would be the same as the concatenated header text
anyways. Why shouldn't markdown do it for me?

As for the unique ID - this is not an issue specific to headers -
it's an issue with many newly discussed features when combining
multiple documents into one page (as happens on a weblog). I would
prefer that we treat the two issues separately so as not to confuse
them. The same solution to unique id's for headers can be applied
to footnotes, etc. (And that is also an issue that needs to be
solved, though not one I am likely to run into personally.)

Just my $0.02,

Fletcher

--
Fletcher T. Penney