An idea for within document anchor references

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Aug 22 09:41:59 EDT 2005

John Gruber wrote:

> The idea would be:

> ## This is a header ##

> Blah blah blah.

> Blah blah, see "[This is a header][#]" for more info.

I'm okay with this, as long as this form is simply a shortcut for:

Blah blah, see "[This is a header][#This is a header]" for more
info.

This way, there is logic in it: it works almost the same way as
regular reference links (using only "#" is a shortcut for when your
link text is the same as the reference).

But it doesn't solve the issue of auto-generating ids. You say they
get "some sort of GUID id attribute", but how do you generate user-
friendly clash-free GUIDs?

Anyway, I would pretty much like define myself the id attributes for
my headers like this:

## This is a header ## {#head}

Then, these three links would mean the same thing.

Blah blah, see "[This is a header][#]" for more info.

Blah blah, see "[This is a header][#This is a header]" for more
info.

Blah blah, see "[This is a header](#head)" for more info.

The question is: Do we really need to add the special link-to-header
syntax -- which doesn't work when two headers have the same text --
when all we need is the ability to set ids to headers?

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/