link soup

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Aug 22 11:12:11 EDT 2005

Le 2005-08-22 à 10:26, Mark Smith a écrit :

> I wonder though, does nobody else see any "net merit" in having more

> "flexible" output such that the footnote syntax can also be used for

> e.g. literature citations ?

I sure do... for example, I would like it if there was a way to
change footnotes into sidenotes (without javascript) for web sites
that prefer them.

As I said previously, I plan on making PHP Markdown a class with
methods you can override by making a subclass, which means it would
be easy to make (and maintain) a specific version of the PHP Markdown
parser for sidenotes, or any other kind of output.

But I think the base Markdown (and PHP Markdown) parser should pick
one implementation and implement it the best it can instead making
something that won't be perfect for anyone.

There are many ways to write footnotes/sidenotes, just as there is
many ways to write literature references, and I don't think we can
satisfy everyone with the same output. (I, for instance, prefer to
see `<sup>` *inside* the link.)

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/