Tables

Dr. Drang drdrang at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:28:45 EST 2005

I'm late to this thread, but I'd like to add a some comments:

* Although I use monospaced fonts when writing Markdown, not everyone
does or (in the case of a wiki administered by someone else) can.
Using alignment in the input to indicate alignment in the output will
be difficult for people using proportional fonts. I note that
alignment
of the text inside the hanging bullet is not required for list input,
even though that's the way the text is aligned in the output.

In short, I'm in favor of keeping the colons to indicate cell
alignment.

* In fact, I'd like to see the cell alignment extended to include
decimal
alignment. Thus

Multiply | by | to get
----------|.---------|---------
ft | 0.3048 | m
mph | 0.447 | m/s
in | 25.4 | mm
hp | 745.7 | W

would align the middle column on the decimal point using a
<col align="char"> tag. As with the colon, the period tucked in the
line of dashes seems unobtrusive to me.

I've made this change to my copy of Fletcher Penney's
MultiMarkDown and
it seems to work well. (Fletcher: I'll email you the diff later
today.)

--
Dr. Drang