Tables

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Dec 2 13:55:11 EST 2005

Le 2005-12-02 à 13:28, Dr. Drang a écrit :

> * In fact, I'd like to see the cell alignment extended to include

> decimal

> alignment. Thus

> Multiply | by | to get

> ----------|.---------|---------

> ft | 0.3048 | m

> mph | 0.447 | m/s

> in | 25.4 | mm

> hp | 745.7 | W

> would align the middle column on the decimal point using a

> <col align="char"> tag. As with the colon, the period tucked in the

> line of dashes seems unobtrusive to me.

Pretty good idea... but for this to be useful you need some browser
support. Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't supported neither by Firefox
or Safari. This is one reason why PHP Markdown Extra doesn't support
this.

The other problem is that you cannot always count on the alignment
character to be a dot. If French, for example, the decimal separator
is a comma. And there may be some uses for other characters as well,
I'm thinking about '/' or ':' to align ratios.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/