Tables

Dr. Drang drdrang at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 16:33:05 EST 2005

On 12/2/05, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

> Pretty good idea... but for this to be useful you need some browser

> support. Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't supported neither by Firefox

> or Safari. This is one reason why PHP Markdown Extra doesn't support

> this.

Hmmm... Safari seemed to work in my early (and obviously inadequate)
tests. But testing on the table I gave in my original post shows that
both it and Firefox are trying to do something with the column of
numbers but failing.

> The other problem is that you cannot always count on the alignment

> character to be a dot. If French, for example, the decimal separator

> is a comma.

I knew there would be implications for other languages, but wasn't
sure of all them, so left that for people who know better than me.

> And there may be some uses for other characters as well,

> I'm thinking about '/' or ':' to align ratios.

Along similar lines, I had thought of using ':' for times, but someone
(!) had already used the colon for right-left-center alignment.

--
Dr. Drang