Tables

robert mcgonegal robert37 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 19:23:40 EST 2005

On 2-Dec-05, at 6:19 PM, Dr. Drang wrote:

> On 12/2/05, A. Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:

>> * robert mcgonegal <robert37 at gmail.com> [2005-12-02 22:45]:

>>> Multiply | by | to get | Three | Four | Five

>>> <---------|,---------|:---------|-------->|<----------

>>> ft | 0,3048 | 234:1 | m | Yes | 22'06

>>> mph | 0,447 | 3:2 | m/s | No | 332'045

>>> in | 25,4 | 23:1 | mm | Perhaps | 4'78

>>> hp | 745,7 | 2:3 | W | Maybe | 23'451

>>> The default would be aligned left, so <--- isn't necessary.

>> So far I stayed out of these table discussions because I haven't

>> really liked almost anything that was bandied about and don't

>> have any good ideas of my own; but I have to say *that* is kinda

>> cool…

> I like it, too, because the meaning is quite obvious. Definitely more

> obtrusive than colons, though, and reminiscent of Perl's

> forgotten-but-not-gone formats.

Most of the time, most of these wouldn't be required. You'd probably
only need a special alignment for one or two columns.

Is it possible the best compromise might be to accommodate both
systems? ie. they could be visually aligned, as John seems to much
prefer, but but adding an alignment character (< >:'.,) would
override that?

Robert McGonegal