Tables

Dr. Drang drdrang at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 17:13:59 EST 2005

On 12/3/05, Fletcher T. Penney <fletcher at alumni.duke.edu> wrote:

> That's not hard to implement. I would consider extending the rule to

> any column whose contents consist solely of numbers, with a decimal

> point (or comma for non-US types), optionally with commas( or

> decimals for non-US types), optionally beginning with a (insert

> currency indicator here - which could get messy...)

I bow to your superior programming skills. Scientific notation
(6.023e23) would be nice.

I could live with these rules:

1. A "number" (however that gets defined) means decimal or comma alignment.
2. Two or more spaces from each surrounding pipe means center alignment.
3. Zero (ugh) or one space from the right pipe means right alignment.
4. Anything else means left alignment.

This would cover the bulk of what I do and would not require any
formatting characters in the separator line.

Before I read Fletcher's post, I was thinking that a system of
attributes for tables could put the formatting at the bottom of the
document, keeping it out of the main flow of text. Something similar
to the way MultiMarkdown handles image attributes like height and
width, but I haven't thought of a decent syntax.

--
Dr. Drang