Markdown Lite

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sun Jan 9 20:55:53 EST 2005

In the spirit of:

"Markdown is not a replacement for HTML, or even close to it. Its syntax
is very small, corresponding only to a very small subset of HTML tags.
The idea is not to create a syntax that makes it easier to insert HTML
tags. In my opinion, HTML tags are already easy to insert. The idea for
Markdown is to make it easy to read, write, and edit prose."

If the project were to head in a "heavier" direction seeking to replace
more of HTML (attributes, classes, IDs) might I suggest a limited subset
of the Markdown syntax (dubbed "Lite") be standardized at the same time,
allowing for a fast, easy-to-learn and -remember writing syntax that had
Markdown's robust handling of core constructs.

My personal interest in this is that it would be more in line with the
philosophy of the tools I'm working on.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com