Attribute references

Jelks Cabaniss jelks at jelks.nu
Mon Jan 10 15:20:13 EST 2005

european bob wrote:
>         13.7 Visual presentation of images, objects, and applets
>
>         All IMG and OBJECT attributes that concern visual alignment
>         and presentation have been deprecated in favor of style
>         sheets.

Granted, the "presentation" part is confusing, not surprising considering
images are pretty much, well, presentational.  However, they are referring
there to "border", "align", "vspace", "hspace" and others you *will* find in
the "Transitional" DTDs of HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0.

> That applies to the entirety of 13.7, including 13.7.1 - width and
> height. I would guess that means that width and height are also
> missing from XHTML1.1, but the w3 site is a load of rubbish and I
> can't tell :o)

It doesn't apply to width and height.  The HTMLish version of the DTD shown
at:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/xhtml11_dtd.html

Indicates a reference to the Image Module at

    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/DTD/xhtml-image-1.mod

which reveals:

    <!ATTLIST %img.qname;
      %Common.attrib;
      src          %URI.datatype;           #REQUIRED
      alt          %Text.datatype;          #REQUIRED
      longdesc     %URI.datatype;           #IMPLIED
      height       %Length.datatype;        #IMPLIED
      width        %Length.datatype;        #IMPLIED

Contrast that with XHTML 1.0 Transitional:

    <!ATTLIST img
      %attrs;
      src         %URI;          #REQUIRED
      alt         %Text;         #REQUIRED