Attribute references

european bob bob at wolfwall.com
Tue Jan 11 05:20:34 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 19:45 +0000, David Dorward wrote:
> >         13.7 Visual presentation of images, objects, and applets
> >
> >         All IMG and OBJECT attributes that concern visual alignment and
> >         presentation have been deprecated in favor of style sheets.
>
> Maybe in theory, but the attributes themselves are not marked as
> deprecated either at the precise point where they are described...
>
>      attribute name = accepted valies
>   Deprecated. Description of attribute.
>
> ... nor in the attribute listing (deprecated attributes are marked
> with a D) <http://w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html>.
>
> Looks like the spec is contridicting itself again.

Yeah, I think you're right. They clearly can't claim width/height is
non-presentational, because they a) ask for images to scale, b) regard
percentages as a proportion of space available, not of the image (I
think at least a. has changed since HTML3.2, b. too from the looks of
things).

> Since XHTML 1.1 is XHTML 1.0 with only minor modifications, I would
> assume they still exist... and http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/valid11.xhtml
> validates.

XHTML1.1 is more than just minor modifications; all the stuff marked
deprecated should be gone - it's supposedly significantly simpler. Given
it validates, they must have retained it - which I guess supports my
original assertion that they are useful attributes anyway :)

--bob.