Markdown rendering differently

Andy Fragen lists at thefragens.com
Thu Jan 20 17:20:04 EST 2005

I'm using Markdown from the command line using the following syntax.

% echo "string to process" | perl Markdown.pl

If I run % echo "$" | perl Markdown.pl, I get <p>$</p> -- expected

If I run % echo "$8" | perl Markdown.pl, I get nothing. I would expect

Why is this happening? If I escape the '$' then it renders as expected.
Should I have to escape it?

--
Andy Fragen